Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Trip

So here it is.... our next adventure. Unfortunately i wasn't able to take any pictures.... sort of had 3 kids in the car and was having to drive for 3 days straight.

it all started wenesday of last week. We had made the decision to just go ahead and move asap. We went to pick up the truck and it wasn't there. So we waited an hour and a half for it to finally arrive. We were mad to say the least. Good thing they gave us a discount!
So then we were going to drop the car trailor off at my cousins house while we loaded the truck. Rick couldn't get it off by himself and while trying to turn around in their cul-de-sac.. he clipped their SOLID BRICK mailbox and demolished it. yes... you heard right... demolished. The cement holding the sucker to the ground even ripped up and the mailbox went to it's resting place in about a million and one pieces. Good thing my cousin thought it was funny.... Rick felt so horrible.

We finished packing everything up and were able to leave late Thursday night. We drove about 4 hours is all before we had to stop for the night. And..... I wanna know why it is that Tennessee feels the need to harvest mosquitos on the sides of thier highways. We had to pull over because of the screaming baby and being that i had to stand on the side of the road..... i just happened to find myself in the middle of one of their Moquito farms. i knew i was getting eaten alive... just didn't know how bad. WHen we got to our hotel, i counted...... 39 FRIGGIN bites!!! can you believe that? seriously.... someone needs to tell that state to do something about their mosquito population. it was miserable!

we then woke up early and got on the road. This trip was a little better in the sense that we didn't have to pull over every hour with baby- so that was a plus. However.... we still needed to stop for other reasons. We drove across the state of Missouri that day. It is seriously one of the most beautiful states. Unforutnately... my Kayleb had to add to that beauty by stopping every 30 minutes because he was sick. Yes... it was horrible. i thought we'd never get anywhere. But then he felt better, we were moving again. Until we hit Kansas City. then the heavens opened and the flod gates gave way. we hit the 3 traffic problems all at the same time. Downpour, construction, and rush hour. And after 12 hours on the road.... it wasn't a pretty picture. we drove like that for about 30 minutes is all, but it was aweful. we made it to Topeka that night and early enough that my friend Roxy was able to come over nad visit for a little while. It was so fun to see her again. (luv ya Rox!) we enjoyed chatting and playing with the baby and watching drunk people.... :)

Then we got up the next morning and just took our time getting on the road. we wanted to make sure we had enough rest. We got out and started again. Kansas is a pretty state as well... not as pretty as Missouri... but still. We passed the cool looking huge wind mills and all those funky oil rig things spread all over the place. It was making me so homesick because it looked exactly like Idaho, except it was more green. lol so it made for a pleaseant trip.
Hailey started complaining about her ear hurting about mid day and started crying. she then continued to SCREAM and cry for the next 4 hours. I got so upset, i had to have her ride with Rick. Yah... that lasted a whole 30 minutes as well. So she came back to the van and was magically better. (go figure) We had a goal of making Denver that night, but at the rate we were driving, it wasn't looking pretty. We were so tired of driving and being on the road, we jsut wanted to get home. So we stopped for about an hour and got the kids to sleep and headed on the road again. we finally made denver about 1 am. Rick and i were so tired, we couldn't go on, so we had to find another hotel. Now... rick had a sinus infection this whole trip as well- so that didn't go over with driving so much.
we then got up again early and started driving. Luckily Rick met this really nice trucker dude at one of the rest stops we stopped at and he told us of a "back road" to take and it would cut some time off the trip. We were all over that, so we found it! It did... it ended up saving us about 1.5 hours. we made our way through Wyoming- aka the barren desert of nothingness. seriously.... don't understand why anyone wants to live there. lol
one of the highlights of the trip was seeing table rock mountain.. that was super cool. And nothing made me more happy than seeing my pretty mountains again. I hadn't realized how much i missed them until i saw them again.
what was super nice was that my family knew we were just done with this whole mess and drove down to meet us and help us out. we met up just outside Idaho border and were relieved. My dad took the truck, the girls went in my van while my mom drove and the guys took my parents vehicle. it was the best 3 hours of the trip. of course.

But we're here! got here about 10:30 on Sunday night. now... had we not had a honkin' truck that only drove 60 MPH.... we totally would have been here sooner. it was the longest 3 days of my life and don't ever care to do it again thank you very much.

ANywho- RIck is hard at work trying to find a job. He's gotten some good leads and looks like if everything works out, he'll be working in his field- which is the best thing ever. I'm enjoying being home and having a lot of help. Will be nice to have our own place again- hopefully soon. It's just so odd being home without being here for a visit. Trying to figure out if we'll actually stay her ein Pocatello or if we'll be somewhere else, but still close by. I'll be glad once we have an established job and know we're going to be somewhere for a LONG time. that will be a nice feeling.

I'll post some pics a little later on- i'm about pooped right now. this is the first day I've actaully been able to just sit. it's so nice!
toodles. :)


Anonymous said...

Ugh! I do not know how you guys do it!!! We've been praying for you guys for the past week . . . too bad the trip was awful. Now you're home!!! Must be a great feeling . . . good luck!

Lindsey said...

Well that'll be a story for the memory books! Haha! Ohhh how miserable... sorry about the torture. Glad you made it safe and sound! Things should just start getting better and better from here... well, for a month or so at least, until the snow starts coming down! Ahhhhh!! ;)

the real ~Roxann~ said...

So glad you are safe and sound. Call me when you can!


lynn said...

y'all are like gypsies amber! seriously.

hoping all turns out well and y'all get settled into your new life surrounded by family.

Kayla said...

Welcome back to the west! Let me know if you're ever heading down to Utah and we'll get together!

Melanie said...

Hi! Okay, I confess I'm a blog stalker... I've secretly been haunting your blog for a few months now. Not sure why. Maybe I feel an afinity to you because of the way you write about your life. Anyways, I haven't been by in a while and was totally surprised to hear about your move! I want you to know that I wish you and your husband and children the absolute best as you get your feet under you again. That's all. I'll go back to quiet stalking now... (I hope you catch the silliness in that and don't contact the "authorities" on me!) Cheers!

Jen Gallacher said...

What an ordeal!! I'm sooooo sorry, but I'm glad you're here.

Victoria said...

It wouldn't be quite a memory if you just had a nice quiet drive home, huh? You seriously have the most thoughtful parents to come and meet you. I bet they are excited to have you guys closer? I'm sure well be seeing you around.

Lisa Brown said...

Oh, what a rotten drive! That is why I never want to drive home for a visit, because I would have to do it twice. Glad you made it safely and hope everything works out!

craig&susan said...

your poor kids are going to have nightmares about their car seats for months. Not to mention your nightmare, but at least it's over.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're catching up on your rest. :)

aLWays said...

It sounds like a heck of a journey! I agree with you...the south can keep their mosquitoes...give me the mountains any day!

Best of luck back in Idaho! As the feller says, "sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name". ;)

I cant find Lindy's blog for the life of me...please tell her that I said Hi if you speak to her any time soon!

I hope you remember how to "dress in layers"! It is almost that time of year again!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you made it safe back home;-)